It was five months ago: Wednesday, March 16. Drearily, my red eyes gazed out the window at the amber glow of a brisk Massachusetts sunrise as the plane started its initial descent into Boston. The three days prior, I enjoyed the charged atmosphere of Pure//Accelerate, Pure Storage's inaugural conference celebrating its disruption of the storage market and ecosystem of alliance partners in San Francisco. Dizzied by too much fun and my inability to sleep on an airplane, I sipped my complimentary lukewarm Dunkin' Donuts coffee and stared blankly at the Excel project plan on my MacBook: VMworld US 2016 - Charter and Timeline. "How the hell are we going to pull this off?"
The VMworld planning kickoff, which I ambitiously scheduled for 8 a.m. after a red eye, was just hours away. Our goals were even loftier than my scheduling:
- Use VMworld as a forum for rebranding the company
- Double the user base of the Green Circle Community
- Showcase the current capabilities of the product, while teasing all those to come
- Come up with a larger than life concept
- Steal the show
Today is Friday, August 26. On Saturday morning, I will sojourn to McCarran International for the second time this summer and experience the fruit of countless hours of meetings, planning and design — labor borne on the backs of many who can not make it to the show - as Turbonomic, previously VMTurbo, takes the VMworld floor.
The Experience We've Crafted
Our two-story booth, located immediately next to Intel, Virtustream and VMware, features
- Two meeting rooms (one air conditioned), wherein customers, visitors and analysts can meet with our executives to discuss the company vision and roadmap
- More than $25,000 of premium swag, including Oculus Rifts, Nvidia Shields, Raspberry Pi Starter Kits, TurboStack Home Labs and more - earned through http://greencircle.io
- A 400-square-foot megatron, which will feature our customers and Green Circle Community - the people who truly make our company great
- A 12-feet by 9-feet jumbotron which will feature and demo our brand new HTML5 UI
- 25 customer, partner and thought leader presentations in our booth theater every 30 minutes throughout the show
- 18 television screens and 7 Green Circle Community Registration kiosks
- Two community-designed T-Shirts for anyone who comes by the booth
- Meet-and-Greet kiosk with Packetpushers Datanauts Ethan Banks and Chris Whal
- And demos, plenty of product demos at our 6 LED demo stations
To amplify and celebrate the market-based analytics of our platform, we have crafted the Swag Market, where visitors can earn some seriously valuable swag by completing both Live and Online Missions throughout the course of the show. We're also giving away a Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit every half hour for Turbonomic presentation-goers, and an Oculus Rift from among all Green Circle Community registrants each day.
The Name We've Chosen
Our rebrand from VMTurbo to Turbonomic, more than a year in the making, very much represents a declaration of independence from the limitations inherent in our old moniker. As explained on our release site, the shift to Turbonomic signifies a conscious decision to elevate our brand beyond mere server virtualization to better reflect the markets and technologies we've for long supported. It is a natural change pursuant to our company vision to manage any workload, on any infrastructure, anywhere, at anytime.
Our newfound battlecry, "It's On," pays homage to our always-on decision automation technology - borrowing the "ON" from the words Autonomic and Economic.
This VMworld, when you enter the show floor, walk straight ahead. You will first confront the giants: VMware, centrally flanked by HPE and EMC. To the right, NetApp and Cisco; to the left, Intel, abutted by a bright green circle. It will not bear the familiar "VMT" as it has in years past. Rather, it will bear a perhaps more familiar "ON", albeit used in a new context.
Our presence is a continued promise to our customers, first and foremost, that we passionately support the vision of a heterogenous IT world. It reinforces our fundamental belief in autonomic IT, driven by an agnostic platform, capable of supporting any technology you choose to adopt. Any workload, any infrastructure, anywhere at any time. Whatever giants may rise (or fall), On, you will remain.
See you in Vegas and after.